Monday, January 17, 2011

Menu Monday - Braised Pork with Cider Vinegar

Delia did it again, another winner for her wonderful Winter Collections recipe book.

I went to Whole Foods with said book in hand, (far quicker grabbing it than writing a list!!). I went off to the meat counter and nearly fell over with shock at how cheap pork is over here. It just so happened that pork shoulder was on sale and I got it for the bargain price of $2.99 a pound. Note to self, be sure to cook lots of pork shoulder dishes whilst on sale!! Anyway, I got my 2lbs and trotted off to find some shallots.

I then had to take myself to the off-licence to buy some hard cider. Cider is so popular in England, (and very cheap). It comes in big plastic bottles, similar to a large Coke bottle. You can buy it everywhere but I usually buy it in the Supermarket. There was only one choice in the offy by my house, a nice Canadian make made purely out of Granny Smith apples. My shopping was done and now it was time to cook.
You fry all the pork and shallots. You then mix the cider with a cup of cider vinegar and put it in the oven for a couple of hours. Once stewed, you then remove the meat and onions and reduce the liquid until half. Then put some spoonfuls of Creme Fraiche into the liquid, mix it together, put the meat and onions back and voila - a super delicious pork stew. I served mine with boiled new potatoes and green beans - just yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment