Friday, August 14, 2009

Please Don't Rain

This afternoon they have got the 'Annual Summer Picnic' at school. The one day it needs to be sunny, the one day that is mustn't rain, I'm not holding out much hope. I can understand if we were in England, you can never plan anything outside but not here, not in Denver - the secret sunshine state!!




You are suppose to take a salad and a dessert, (store bought not home made) with you to the picnic. I spent ages in the supermarket looking for a decent salad to buy - where's good old Marks and Spencers when you need it - not in Denver that's for sure. I eventually found a large fruit platter, not really a salad but it was the best that I could find. Then these little babies cheered me up - school cupcakes. How cool are they, the sprinkles are little alphabets and the plastic signs say, school, read and write. Oh yes, I am loving them. Not quite sure if they count as dessert, maybe they're looking for a trifle or a large chocolate cake. That is the problem with living in a different country, you never really know what they expect until you are there and it is too late.




I will never forget when we were living in Australia, the neighbours were having a party and the invite said to bring a plate. I found this rather odd but thought that maybe they didn't have enough plates to go around. I turned up at said party with my plate and realised that a plate actually meant a dish of food!!! Rather an awkward situating to be in but hey ho, I learnt a big lesson that evening - double check, double check and double check!! Happy Friday and have a great weekend.

1 comment: