Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Favourite Children's Books

I love reading to my children at bedtime. I stagger their bedtimes so that I can read each of them a book or two. I thought I would share my favourites.

Biggest Oompa Loompa - Age 5

He loves Dr.Seuss - his favourite is 'There's a Wocket in my Pocket'. My favourite is 'Oh, The Places You'll Go'. Who doesn't love his books, the man was a genius.

I just discovered the Adventures of Riley books and have got to say that I like them enormously. They cleverly merge real photos with the cartoon characters and are so informative but they do it in a really fun way. I want to buy them for all my friends children back home.



I must say that I do love a book that rhymes, The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child and two of my all time favourites. To be honest, any book by Alex Sceffler and Julie Donaldson will not disappoint.

Biggest OL is also really into story tapes. I bought him this Dora CD player in a consignment shop a couple of years ago and it was the best $15 I have ever spent. Each night he listens to story CD's and sometimes in the day will go up to his bedroom and put one on.

These are his current favourite CDs. Roald Dahl's BFG is probably the one that is played the most!!


Middle Oompa Loopa - Age 3

I bought this book in England and have not been able to find the series over here, which is such a shame. They are a wonderful books. Each page has a little red button which you press and music/words come out. Middle OL adores finding and then pressing the button.

I am not really sure if Middle OL likes this book but I love reading it to him. My sister-in-law, (who is American) bought this for me a couple of years ago and I just think it is beautiful. I love the story and the artwork - I want to frame ever page!!

Paddington Bear, Middle OL's Godmummy bought him the series last year and it has become a favourite. I used to enjoy Paddington when I was little and it brings back very fond memories when I read him these stories.

Love this little book, it is all about curiosity and wonder, Grandma bought him this for Easter last year and he always has it next to his bed.
I have read this book so many times that I don't actually need the book anymore, I can recite it word for word. Timothy Pope, Timothy Pope, has a look through his telescope, he looks at the sky, he looks at the ground, he looks left and right, he looks all around..... Timothy not in any doubt, what do you think he's about to shout........There's a Shark in the Park!!!

And so on.........
Pants, what a perfect little book. We do not call Pants, Pants, we call them trousers. We call underpants, pants. This is a great little book about all the different underpants there are, this is a big hit in our house.
Baby Oompa Loompa - Age 1

That's not my............. range of books are fantastic for little ones. We have quite a few. That's not my Princess is lovely and baby OL is thrilled at touching all the different textures.

Finally Dear Zoo, a classic. I have read this to all my children hundreds of times and each time I read it, it is like the first time. They all love the fabulous little book.

So that is my little list of favourite books, I would love to hear any that you would recommend.
Have a wonderful Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. Best childrens book ever is written buy a man from my island (Fjørtoft). Its called "What Happened in Seaweed town" and is the story about a little fish that swims to far from his home and gets captured by a crab. It has songs and music and great drawings, and I got it for Christmas from my brother :-)

    But, I also hava one other favourite, that I got introduced to at a student party in Bergen... It is called: "The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit" It is the most hilarious book about this mole trying to find out who pooped on his head... It even has written sound effects... No wonder it was a hit amongst university students!!

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I adore Dr. Seuss! "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" is definitely a favorite! I love the line, "but the zillow on my pillow always helps me fall asleep.". I think my favorite Dr. Seuss book is "The Foot Book"...just darling.

    For the younger ones, I love Sandra Boynton! She has these adorable little books with the sweetest illustrations of dogs, cats, sheep, cows, chickens, etc...I bet we have 12 of them!

    Hope you're not missing the boys too much! I have to say I wouldn't mind if my husband took our son for a couple of days to visit his parents! :) Sounds like some good girl time! Take Care! **hugs** Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT books Tara! You truly are a woman after my own heart! These days, most of my kids read to us at bedtime, they love it!!! Well, teenage son reads to himself. DS2 reads us whatever book he is writing at the time. The kids is such a great writer! DD1 reads us American Girl books, DS2 reads us Dr. Seuss and the baby (2) likes to listen to Thomas the Tank books. He will, however, listen to anything and enjoys it all. I do agree with Erin on Sandra Boyton, those are fun books.

    Once you hit chapter books, Magic Treehouse and Magic Schoolbus are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good morning all! just a shout out for a Canadian icon in the world of childrens books - check out Robert Munch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the Sandra Boynton board books and anything Eric Carle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah my kids loved eric carle, leo lionni,tomie depoala and jan brett books. they also loved ed emberly's drawing books. i miss those days when we would snuggle on the couch and read book after book.

    ReplyDelete